Creamy Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
Serves 4 to 6
3 cups brown rice pasta (I recommend elbow pasta.)
1 1/2 cups plain unsweetened almond milk
2 tablespoons brown rice flour
2-3 cups mozzarella cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon basil
¼ teaspoon oregano
¼ teaspoon rosemary
¼ cup mushrooms (cut into tiny pieces)
1 whole red bell pepper (cut into tiny pieces)
1 small onion (cut into tiny tiny pieces)
¼ cup gluten free bread crumbs (I like to cut 2 Udis bread into pieces and bake them for a 5-10 minutes. Then blend until coarse.)
1. Boil the Pasta: Bring about 4 quarts of water to a boil. Add the pasta and a tablespoon of salt. Cook until the pasta is almost done, about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Vegetables Add-ins: Strir-fry onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms until soft. Pour into large bowl and add in bread crumbs. Add in rosemary, garlic powder, basil, and oregano. Mix until evenly coated.
3. Warm the Milk: When the pasta has finished cooking, prepare the cheese sauce. Begin by, warming 1 cup of the milk in the saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and mix until there aren’t any lumps. Continue whisking gently until the milk thickens slightly to the consistency of heavy cream, 3-4 minutes.
4. Make the Cheese Sauce: Turn the heat to low and begin mixing handfuls of cheese into the milk. Stir in the salt. Stir until all the cheese has melted and the sauce is creamy. Remove the sauce from heat.
5. Combine the Pasta, Veggies Cheese Sauce: Combine the pasta veggies, and 1/2 of the cheese sauce. Stir to coat the pasta evenly. Add the second half of the sauce.
*Might need more salt.
Store: Uh, no! It’ll be gone before the night is over. Hehe.